Douthat State Park
Douthat State Park was one of six original state parks located off of I-64 near Clifton Forge. During the Franklin D. Roosevelt administration, 600 men with the Civilian Conservation Corps lived and worked at the park, building the facilities from 1933 to 1942, including the dam and spillway.
- Trails for mountain biking, regular biking, hiking
- Freshwater fishing and pier
- Swimming - Sandy Beach!
- Boating (not motorboats)
- Rent paddleboats, jonboats, kayaks, canoes.
Smith Mountain Lake State Park
Smith Mountain Lake is the second largest lake in the state and was created in 1960 when a dam was built on the Roanoke River in Smith Mountain Gap.
- Trails for hiking
- Freshwater fishing, fishing pier
- Swimming - Beach
- Rent motorboats, paddleboats, canoes